Go Back   BMW i3 Forum: A BMW i3 Forum > BMW i3: General > Factory Specifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #11

3 hours is impressive. When I first had the thought of electric I thought it would be much much more money to charge it at home. 95 is quite affordable.
fasteuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricDRIVE View Post
I hope to remember to plug the car in every night!! Waking up to a dead car would not be good.
Sorry for the late response, but new to this forum.
My experience with other EVs is that plugging in every night or whenever needed, is an easy habit to form. It is easy to plug in and leave it and more enjoyable than thinking about finding a gas station. The feeling is reinforced in the morning when you start with a full "tank".
ampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #13

I have just spent 4 days driving my new i3. What a pleasure! Especially the acceleration. The smooth push of power is really sports car performance. But back to charging....i have used public charging points so far (Scotland) in Dundee and Dunfermline. 7kw. Range is about 80miles. I think you would plug in every day even if only using part of a 'tank'. I have signed up for a polar 7kw charger 95 for house and similar for offices.
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:14 AM   #14
Administrator

How long will it take until you can get the polar 7kw charger installed viking?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #15

Default polar

mmmm no news on installation. it is everwarm that is sub contracted in Scotland. and they then contract to a local contractor. I hope they will expedite for people who actually have an ev?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #16

Hi all, I'm about to be a new member of the BMW i3 world, but could do with some advice on charging options I should go for. The dealers don't seem to want to give an answer to some basics when it comes to re-sale value.

In essence I don't plan to use the vehicle beyond the standard range but I want to know what is best for maintaining re-sale value! - Should I go for the range extender model? and/or DC rapid charge option? - or both! Would be great to see what i3 owners have opted for?

Cheers!
scoob915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #17

Hi I have a non rex+non DC i3. I live on Orkney (Scottish island) So for me daily range is just about correct. But be aware that driven fast (ish) you may only get 60-70 miles in comfort mode. So as you live in a large urban conurbation rex could be useful as a range extender and DC charging could be very useful if you are keeping the vehicle for a few years. There are no new type CSS DC charging points in the UK just yet. I wouldn't buy either due to resale value! I doubt you will get back your investment. BUT i suppose if they prove difficult to sell then maybe the ones with extras will move quicker. I chose only winter pack and heat pump as extras. Wheels are very overpriced and the standard wheels look much better than the brochures.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #18

Thanks for sharing viking. Did you opt for the BMW AC fast charger? when i asked the difference between this and a non-BMW one, the sales man said it matched the car! In short I will look for an independant solution. They did also suggested a DC charge network is being worked on so future proofing your car would be worth considering. I'm yet to decide. Agreed on the standard wheels! With most poeple specing (in London anyway) upgrade wheels, the standard wheels actually make the car stand out more!
scoob915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #19

Hi Scoob...

I ticked all the boxes on my spec, mostly because I love all the gadgets but I figured if the 30 minute DC fast chargers get rolled out across the UK it would make the car more useable for me in the future.....maybe even do away with my 335d...... maybe!

BTW My dealer told me the iBox has more feature than the free offerings, but he wasn't that sure what it did exactly.

My dealer called yesterday.... mine will be delivered last week of March.... they seem to have come forward a bit :-).... can't wait!
Paul1866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #20

Default charging solutions

I have gone for the BMW wallbox and paid the extra above the government grant for the 'privilege' Normal sockets are not recommended on a regular basis according to my electrician but can be used as a one off if visiting friends/family. Not all customers can have the full 32A and I had to go for a slightly slower time with 20A charger. This can be timed overnight and if you switch to lower tariff electricity it becomes more economical. DC was one of the options I chose because of motorway charge points allowing rapid charge and with more planned in the future. Car arrives in 4 weeks. Cannot wait.
hoos63 is offline   Reply With Quote