Go Back   BMW i3 Forum: A BMW i3 Forum > BMW i3: General > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

Default Air Conditioning Affecting Mileage?

Hi Everyone...Just got my new i3 yesterday. Glad to be here! I'm not sure if this is a UK or US-based Forum. Either way, if you'd help me out, I would appreciate.

I just took my car out in the Las Vegas heat and noticed that the moment I put the A/C on, my mileage potential dropped by 20-25 miles. Is this normal? Am I truly dealing with a car that will only give me 70-75 mile output on a full charge when it's 115 degrees here in July?

Thanks for your help!

-David
DSMLVNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

I don't know if that particular drop in range is normal. Than would be about 30% and seems high. If your car is a day old your range estimate may also be reduced by the algorithm that calculates range from averaging recent driving experience. My Smart ED only loses 10% (about 6 miles when the AC is on. AC is more efficient than the heater so expect greater loss in winter from the heater.
ampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

Hi
I suspect its reality.. Here in the Uk with the temperature around 3 celcius this AM range on my I3 dropped by about 10 miles.. even after "pre-conditioning" the car off the mains.. That would be my suggestion to maximise range.. pre-condition car off mains before setting off.. range will still be reduced but not by as much
Andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #4

Get the charger software upgrade. That should fix the problem. AC in So Cal adjusts the range by maybe 5%. You will typically get 70 miles range in January at 60 degrees. YMMV. Keep at 65 on the freeway, use a light foot and use all opportunities to regenerate when slowing and you may do a tad better with the range.
Hrmandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

Further, I have found the range right after charging to be inaccurate. Over the life of the charge, the range remaining will become more accurate based on your driving style and conditions.
Hrmandell is offline   Reply With Quote