Go Back   BMW i3 Forum: A BMW i3 Forum > BMW i3: News > News, Rumors, and Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #1
Administrator

Post BMW i3 Range Extender reportedly doesn’t qualify for White Sticker in California

BMW i3 Range Extender reportedly doesn’t qualify for White Sticker in California

Statement from BMWNA:

The i3 with Range Extender qualifies for the green sticker, which is limited in numbers and will run out in the eventual future (possibly late in 2014). This is technically to be expected since the car is equipped with an internal combustion engine which potentially emits fuel fumes, and thus makes it harder to qualify for the white sticker which typically can be obtained by full battery-electric vehicles (BEV) and Hydrogen vehicles. The white sticker is not limited in terms of numbers. There is a continued, constructive relationship between BMW and CARB executives, and there has been no reversal of position. It also bears mention that the i3 with Range Extender qualifies for the full CA incentive amount of $2,500 – so the statement in the original article that the owners will not receive CA state incentive money is also wrong.

Original Article:

According to TheStreet.com, California State just did an about face on BMW and changed their mind on how they categorize the BMW i3 REx (Range Extender).

BMW i3 REx was going to be viewed as an Federal Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEVs), essentially an electric vehicle with a portable gas generator on board for just in case. Thus the i3 REx would be eligible for the oh so coveted white “clean air vehicle” stickers and good for CarPool Only lane. However, now California has changed the rules of the game and is calling the i3 REx in the same category as a plug in hybrid – ouch!!!

Article Found At: BMW i3 Range Extender reportedly doesn?t qualify for White Sticker in California
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote