Go Back   BMW i3 Forum: A BMW i3 Forum > BMW i3: News > News, Rumors, and Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
Administrator

Post BMW i3 check engine light issue close to resolution

BMW i3 check engine light issue close to resolution

The all-new electric i3 from BMW is thrilling new owners in the US as the launch continues successfully for the automaker. Like any new model, particularly a completely new one, small issues have arisen that will be overcome. One of the most frustrating for new owners has been a “Check Engine Light”, called a CEL, that is appearing on the dashboards of some i3s.

The issue is limited to the range extended version of the popular i3, known as the “REx.” This is the version that has a small onboard gasoline generator that can help the i3 get to a charge station if the battery runs low, or runs completely out of power. The CEL seems to be an indication that there is an emissions fault, but the cars are not storing an emissions fault code, so BMW is resetting the cars manually and sending them on their way. A recent document viewed by Torque News dated this week shows that BMW has a new software update that is “going to be released shortly” intended to solve the problem.

Although it is not a funny subject to owners now driving the i3 with the check engine light on, it is a little cute that the BMW icon is that of a classic engine profile showing an internal combustion engine with an air filter on top and a cooling fan up front.

Some owners have taken to using the old-school method of turning off a dashboard light. They have used black electrical tape.

Overall the new BMW i3's US market launch has gone as planned. First sales started last month and exceeded 300 units. June and July will be ramp-up months, and by year's end the i3 may have sales exceeding the number four electrified car in the US, theTesla Model S and possibly even the Toyota Prius Plug-In.

Article Found At: BMW i3 check engine light issue close to resolution - Torque News
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #2

I bought my BMW i3 on May 28 at Hudson Valley BMW in New York. I absolutely love the vehicle and have no complaints about it as it runs great, but I do have a complaint about getting this faulty check engine issue fixed. Note, though I have the REx, I have never had to use it and it has come on for maintenance only twice. In the last visit to the shop they replaced the gas for me and also put in a good stabilizer.

The check engine light came on during the summer in August, two months after I bought the vehicle, for no apparent reason. At BMW Hudson Valley it took four days for the service dept. to resolve this issue through a software update. It seems that they have to wait for engineers in Germany to remote into the vehicle to do the software updates manually.
The same exact engine light issue apparently happened around November 30 or December 1, 2014. This time I was told that there was another software update needed and also a pressure valve related to the gas Rex engine needed to be replaced. Again they had the vehicle for four days. The day after I got the vehicle back that engine light came on again. It remains on days later and currently. I called around to a few more dealers and found one that has dealt with the CEL in the REx several times so am scheduled to bring it in on the 29th.

Another issue has come about ever since the last software update, which may or may not be the cause. The iPhone app will no longer pre-condition my vehicle and every time I've tried (which is about 20 times so far) it has not been able to do it. I have tried to issue the command from two different iPhones and it still has the same error message in the app about not being able to issue the command to the vehicle and in fact it won't issue any commands remotely to the vehicle now. Something got hosed with the communications link to the vehicle. Anyone else see this after the latest update?
CompuMagic is offline   Reply With Quote