Go Back   BMW i3 Forum: A BMW i3 Forum > BMW i3: News > News, Rumors, and Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Default battery charge vs physical miles

While the car selling sheets states the car should do anywhere in between 75 to 100 miles with a full charge, we have not been able to do more than 50 with a full charge...

is anyone else experiencing the same issues? we have been driving with eco-pro activated and minimal use of the a/c

thank you

also has had the car in the dealership now for 4 of the 5 weeks we have owned the car... drivetrain failure keeps coming on
prestigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigio View Post
While the car selling sheets states the car should do anywhere in between 75 to 100 miles with a full charge, we have not been able to do more than 50 with a full charge...

is anyone else experiencing the same issues? we have been driving with eco-pro activated and minimal use of the a/c

thank you

also has had the car in the dealership now for 4 of the 5 weeks we have owned the car... drivetrain failure keeps coming on
Sounds like you've been unlucky.
Had ours since March I've done over 7k miles now. I have noticed a drop in range this week after a software update but it is still over 70 miles in comfort without any heating on. Prior to the update I was getting at least 75 miles in these temps.
In the summer I was getting up to 90 miles from a full charge. I have to say i don't actually pay attention to how many miles I actually get compared to what the charge says I'm getting, but it seems to be about right.
martimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #3

hi, we are having the same problems, if we had not bought the range extender we would be stuck at the side of the road every night, we do a round trip of 60 miles and cant do it without the motor being on, the car has broken down once and had to be transported back to the dealer and has been back a number of times , in fact its there now, but the worst thing is the woeful service we have received from the dealer, they just don't want to know, I have to contact customer service to get anything done.
andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

Yes, I'm having the same problem. Even when fully charged the range indicator rarely goes past 60 miles. The situation has been made worse by the software upgrade but in reality the range at present is between 50 / 60 miles. Not good.
I appreciate the time of the year, driving style, etc. but I've previously lived with a Leaf for 3 years and it was never as bad as this.
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #5

We are disappointed in the range. We just went over 2k miles and we are lucky to get 60 miles in ECO PRO on the freeway doing 68 mph. On a sunny day last week we managed 66 miles! Woo Hoo! We also found out that a small mountain pass on the REx gas mode would only keep us at 52 MPH, and most semi trucks were passing us. Sigh...

But the point of this post to say that we recently charged at the Vallejo City Hall free station and I plugged in one of the chargers and it wouldn't charge, with a fault error on the unit. I switched to the other one and it started charging normally. When I picked up the car, to my delight, the electric range on COMFORT jumped to 88 MILES! It said 98 on ECO PRO and 119 on ECO PRO+. Woo Hoo! I actually got 90 miles on this charge cycle, so what the heck! Since then it is back to normal.

Anyone else had this miracle happen to them?
LDNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #6

Question Miles and Drive Train Failure

Done about 7k miles now in my iŁ REX and just got Drive Train Warning issue. BMW says its probably as sensor problem but if the car works it's okay to drive! The car is going in for a fix in a couple of weeks and will get the KLE upgrade at the same time. This car seems to go wrong about every 2k miles. This will be the third time in the dealers. First two times went back to the dealer for 12v battery not charging.Does every i3 owner get all these problems?
I can get 70 miles normally out of a charge doing 70 mph on a motorway in Eco pro (with not much heating). Going slower on other roads extends the range..... but not sure how much. Probably get 90 miles driving at 40 mph.
i3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

I have been driving my i3 for 3 days now. Full charge stated 65 electric miles. I think this is due to the cold weather and I hope this increases in the summer. My daily commute is 34 miles so I am well within the quoted range and with regenerative breaking I am only "using" about 20 miles on eco pro. I am loving my new car! Pictures to follow.
Ecolassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

Yes, if you see my earlier post I was experiencing the same issue. Upshot was, after lots of stroppy emails / phone calls BMW lent me car for 3 weeks whilst they went through 'driving simulations' with mine.
Conclusion: it was perfectly fine and working within their tolerances, so if you get 60 miles on ECO PRO then, they say, "that's fine".
Ultimate conclusion: I've had enough and they agreed to take the car back last week. I now have a Nissan Leaf being delivered next week which will do 100 miles on a charge.
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:33 AM   #9

I get 70-80 miles on a charge. The readout, I have found, is not absolutely accurate in real time. At a full charge, I can go 3 miles and show a loss of 9 miles of charge. When it hits 40 miles remaining, the deterioration in range is far less pronounced. The range after a charge also reflects your driving pattern of your last use. Therefore, you can see 70 miles or 90 miles on the readout after a charge, but it means little. After the software upgrade, this became more frequent.

My range, of course, is highly dependent upon how I drive. Comfort or Eco mean little in the end. If I mash the accelerator, I use more electrons. If I use a light foot, I do much better. 75 mph on the freeway uses a lot of power. Congested freeways allow for lots of regeneration, so you use less power. Hills kill the range uphill. Trying to do a mountain pass in ReX after hauling at 75 mph will result in a big decrease in speed. I once dropped from 75 to 35 on a moderate hill on the freeway. Use a light foot when in ReX. As Scotty once said, "Capt, I can't change the laws of physics!"
Hrmandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

I have now done 2,300 miles in my i3REX since new and the battery miles estimate seems to be getting more accurate over time. When I fully charge the battery at home, the battery miles estimate is typically in the mid 70s.

Last week I decided to see how far we could go by battery and the answer was: 73 miles actually driven and 10 miles left at the point when I switched the petrol engine on to do the final 19 miles to home. This was using Eco Pro and EcoPro+ as the weather was not hot and I did not need air-conditioning switched on. I did cruise on the M40 at between 65-70 mph and no doubt I would have got a few more miles by going at 62-64 mph.

I had hoped to do the whole journey on battery but a road was closed and I ended up doing extra miles. With an REX this was no problem but I can imagine it would have given me a lot grief in an all electric version.

I find it intriguing that on BMW's "BMW iCommunity Forum" that my comments about cruising at about 64 mph on long runs with the REX running to hold the state of charge evoked a comment that this really was too slow. BUT it seems that to get close to 100 miles out of a battery charge you must be driving even slower and putting in a lot of effort to extract every extra mile.
Citnuti3
citnuti3 is offline   Reply With Quote